Tai Chi is more than a martial art or a moving meditation and Yoga is more than twisting yourself into a pretzel; they are sophisticated movement systems that have great potential for application to a rehab setting. In this course we will break down and simplify common tai chi movements and yoga poses into stances, postures, steps and arm movements/positions, then put everything together in ways that integrate and optimize relationships between the upper and lower body. In this fun and interactive course you will participate in gentle movement, as well as observe and analyze tai chi and yoga modifications, then discuss clinical relevance and applications to a wide variety of rehab-related conditions. Topics range from:
- Lumbar stabilization to knee alignment & joint replacements
- Balance improvement & gait facilitation to fall prevention
- Pelvic balancing to thoracic mobilization & cervical stabilization
- Gleno-humeral impingement to scapular dyskinesia
- Orthopedic, neuro & geriatric applications
We will also discuss and demonstrate the importance of Pattern Specificity, making exercise more informational by making it resemble the motor behavior we are trying to influence, and investigate the differences between Static and Dynamic Integrated Movement Principles. So come spend the weekend with us; you will never look at movement and exercise the same again!